Current:Home > StocksSupreme Court rejects Josh Duggar's child pornography appeal -Capitatum
Supreme Court rejects Josh Duggar's child pornography appeal
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:30:46
The Supreme Court has closed the book on Josh Duggar's child pornography case.
On Monday, the United States' highest court denied the disgraced reality TV star's appeal to his May 2022 sentencing, according to docket records viewed by USA TODAY.
Duggar, who originally rose to fame on the TLC reality show "19 Kids and Counting," was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service in April 2021 and was later found guilty on one count each of receiving and possessing child pornography.
USA TODAY has reached out to attorneys for Duggar and the Department of Justice.
At his sentencing, Duggar received 12 1/2 years behind bars, a $10,000 fine and orders to attend a mandatory "sex offense-specific treatment program."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Josh Duggar's attorneys argued someone else could have downloaded child pornography to his business
Authorities said they began investigating Duggar after a Little Rock, Arkansas, police detective found child porn files shared by a computer traced to Duggar. A federal agent testified in 2021 that images depicting the sexual abuse of children, including toddlers, were downloaded in 2019 onto a computer at a car dealership Duggar owned.
Despite the evidence and conviction, Duggar's lawyer has maintained his innocence, saying the images could have been downloaded by someone else at the dealership. He said at the time of sentencing that he "looked forward" to the appeal.
Josh Duggar denied appeal,will stay in prison on child pornography charges until 2032
The Supreme Court said in an opposition document filed on May 21 that "there is no dispute that child pornography was downloaded to the computer at petitioner's business."
Furthermore they argued that the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit was within their right to reject testimony from a former employee of Duggar because there was "no evidence" that placed the employee "at the car lot on any of the relevant dates."
The lower court of appeals denied Duggar's plea for another trial in October.
He will have to continue serving out his sentence until it's complete on Oct. 2, 2032. (Duggar previously was scheduled for release in August of 2032 but his sentence was extended thanks to a contraband cellphone.)
Josh Duggar's problematic history
The oldest child of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, Josh appeared on the show "19 Kids and Counting" chronicling their massive, hyper religious family until 2015 when it was cancelled following revelations that Josh had molested four of his sisters and a babysitter when he was a young teen.
He was later caught on Ashley Madison, a dating website advertised as a place for married people looking for an affair to find partners. He made a public apology at the time for cheating on his wife and admitted to a pornography addiction.
TLC spun off another series "Counting On" following the now-adult Duggar children and their budding young families, but that show was also canceled in June 2021 following Josh's arrest.
Contributing: Mary Walrath-Holdridge
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- The Fate of Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager's Today Fourth Hour Revealed
- See Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani's Winning NFL Outing With Kids Zuma and Apollo
- 'Survivor' 47, Episode 9: Jeff Probst gave players another shocking twist. Who went home?
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Gold is suddenly not so glittery after Trump’s White House victory
- Jimmy Kimmel, more late-night hosts 'shocked' by Trump Cabinet picks: 'Goblins and weirdos'
- NBA today: Injuries pile up, Mavericks are on a skid, Nuggets return to form
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Powerball winning numbers for Nov. 13 drawing: Jackpot rises to $113 million
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Judge weighs the merits of a lawsuit alleging ‘Real Housewives’ creators abused a cast member
- Only 8 monkeys remain free after more than a week outside a South Carolina compound
- Channing Tatum Drops Shirtless Selfie After Zoë Kravitz Breakup
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Satire publication The Onion acquires Alex Jones' Infowars at auction
- Black, red or dead: How Omaha became a hub for black squirrel scholarship
- The state that cleared the way for sports gambling now may ban ‘prop’ bets on college athletes
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Martin Scorsese on faith in filmmaking, ‘The Saints’ and what his next movie might be
Channing Tatum Drops Shirtless Selfie After Zoë Kravitz Breakup
Jason Kelce Offers Up NSFW Explanation for Why Men Have Beards
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Mechanic dies after being 'trapped' under Amazon delivery van at Florida-based center
'Wanted' posters plastered around University of Rochester target Jewish faculty members
FBI raids New York City apartment of Polymarket CEO Shayne Coplan, reports say