Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-WWE's Vince McMahon resigns after being accused of sex trafficking, assault in lawsuit -Capitatum
TradeEdge-WWE's Vince McMahon resigns after being accused of sex trafficking, assault in lawsuit
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 05:00:32
Note: This story contains graphic descriptions of sexual abuse that may be TradeEdgeoffensive to some readers or painful to survivors of sexual assault.
Vince McMahon has resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, parent company of WWE, after a former employee accused him of sex trafficking and sexual misconduct, USA TODAY Sports confirmed.
McMahon announced he is stepping down one day after Janel Grant, a former employee at WWE headquarters, filed a lawsuit against McMahon, WWE and the company’s former head of talent relations, John Laurinaitis.
According to court documents, McMahon allegedly pushed Grant into "a physical relationship in return for long-promised employment at WWE," which involved a forced sexual relationship, sharing of private photos and videos, as well as coercing Grant into having sexual relations with other WWE staffers, including Laurinaitis.
"McMahon also subjected Grant to acts of extreme cruelty and degradation that caused Grant to disassociate and/or become numb to reality in order to survive the horrific encounters," the lawsuit states.
“I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name,” McMahon said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports on Friday. “However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately.”
LAWSUIT:Vince McMahon accused of sex trafficking, assault of former WWE employee he paid for NDA
The lawsuit states that in January 2022, McMahon said his wife, Linda McMahon, found out about the relationship with Grant, and he "wanted to ensure that Grant would remain silent about his personal misconduct in order to preserve his controlling interest in WWE." He advised Grant to sign a non-disclosure agreement and would pay her for it. The two sides agreed for a payment of $3 million for Grant signing the NDA, but after it was signed, Grant said she only received $1 million and didn’t receive the rest of the agreed amount.
The lawsuit asks for a ruling that the NDA is invalid under state and federal law because McMahon breached the agreement and took part in sex trafficking. The suit states Grant will prove in a trial she will need "lifelong treatment" because of the "pain and suffering" caused by McMahon.
In the statement provided to USA TODAY Sports on Friday evening, McMahon again denied the allegations.
“I stand by my prior statement that Ms. Grant’s lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth," McMahon said.
McMahon had served as executive chairman of TKO Group Holdings, the company that owns WWE along with the UFC. He made a public appearance with the company on Tuesday when Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was appointed as a board member for the company, and he rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange. TKO had previously said McMahon had no part in the day-to-day operations of WWE.
The news of McMahon's departure came as "Smackdown" took place at the Kaseya Center in Miami. There was no mention of McMahon during the live broadcast, and WWE will hold its annual Royal Rumble event Saturday at Tropicana Field.
veryGood! (34586)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Officer saves missing 3-year-old child from potential drowning: Video captures dramatic rescue
- Jury mulling fate of 3 former Memphis officers charged in Tyre Nichols’ fatal beating
- Man pleads guilty in betting scheme that ensnared ex-NBA player Jontay Porter
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Helene death toll hits 200 one week after landfall; 1M without power: Live updates
- Dana Carvey talks 'top secret' Biden role on 'SNL': 'I've kept it under wraps for weeks'
- Matthew Perry's Doctor Mark Chavez Pleads Guilty to One Count in Ketamine Death Case
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Spider lovers scurry to Colorado town in search of mating tarantulas and community
Ranking
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Chad Ochocinco, Steelers legend James Harrison to fight in MMA bout before Super Bowl
- It's not easy to change in baseball. But that's what the Detroit Tigers did, amazingly
- The hurricane destroyed their towns. These North Carolina moms are saving each other.
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Luke Bryan Explains Why Beyoncé Was Snubbed at 2024 CMA Awards
- 'A Different Man' review: Sebastian Stan stuns in darkly funny take on identity
- Jax Taylor Shares Conflicting Response on If He and Brittany Cartwright Were Ever Legally Married
Recommendation
Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
Animal welfare advocates will plead with Texas lawmakers to help cities control stray pet population
Terence Crawford cites the danger of Octagon in nixing two-fight deal with Conor McGregor
After Helene, a small North Carolina town starts recovery, one shovel of mud at a time
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
CGI babies? What we know about new 'Rugrats' movie adaptation
DPR members talk Dream Reborn tour, performing: 'You realize it's not just about you'
24-Hour Sephora Flash Sale: Save 50% on Olaplex Dry Shampoo, Verb Hair Care, Babyliss Rollers & More