Current:Home > FinanceNew York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance -Capitatum
New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:58:10
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s military was aware of Hamas ' plan to launch an attack on Israeli soil over a year before the devastating Oct. 7 operation that killed hundreds of people, The New York Times reported Friday.
It was the latest in a series of signs that top Israeli commanders either ignored or played down warnings that Hamas was plotting the attack, which triggered a war against the Islamic militant group that has devastated the Gaza Strip.
The Times said Israeli officials were in possession of a 40-page battle plan, code-named “Jericho Wall,” that detailed a hypothetical Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities.
It was unclear how the document was obtained by Israel, but the article said that it had been translated — indicating it may have been in Arabic and directly intercepted from Hamas.
The Israeli military declined to comment on the report, saying it was “currently focused on eliminating the threat from the terrorist organization Hamas.”
“Questions of this kind will be looked into in a later stage,” it said.
The document was seen by many Israeli military and intelligence officials, the report said, though it was unclear if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top leaders had seen it.
The document predicted that Hamas would bombard Israel with rockets, use drones to disable Israel’s security and surveillance abilities at the border wall, and take over southern communities and military bases. Another 2016 Israeli defense memo obtained by the Times said Hamas intended to take hostages back to Gaza.
The Oct. 7 attack — in which 1,200 people were killed and 240 people were abducted and taken to Gaza — would uncannily mirror the one outlined in the battle plan. But Israeli officials had brushed off the plan, the report said, dismissing it as “aspirational” rather than something that could practically take place, the report said.
The report comes amid public fury toward the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for failing to prevent an attack that appears to have been preceded by numerous warning signs.
The attack was planned in plain sight. A month before the assault, Hamas posted a video to social media showing fighters using explosives to blast through a replica of the border gate, sweep in on pickup trucks and then move building by building through a full-scale reconstruction of an Israeli town, firing automatic weapons at human-silhouetted paper targets.
In the video, the militants destroyed mock-ups of the wall’s concrete towers and a communications antenna, just as they would do for real on Oct. 7.
Adding to public outrage over the military’s apparent negligence, the Israeli media has reported that military officials dismissed warnings from female border spotters who warned that they were witnessing Hamas’ preparations for the attack. According to the media reports, the young women reported seeing Hamas drones and attempts to knock out Israeli border cameras in the months leading up to the attack.
Netanyahu has stopped short of apologizing for the attack, and has said that determining blame will have to come after the war is waged. Critics say he is attempting to escape responsibility for myriad intelligence failures leading to the deadliest day in Israeli history.
veryGood! (628)
Related
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Blake Snell free agent rumors: Best fits for two-time Cy Young winner
- Burger King's 'Million Dollar Whopper' finalists: How to try and vote on your favorite
- Mike Tyson concedes the role of villain to young foe in 58-year-old’s fight with Jake Paul
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Pete Alonso's best free agent fits: Will Mets bring back Polar Bear?
- What is best start in NBA history? Five teams ahead of Cavaliers' 13-0 record
- Natural gas flares sparked 2 wildfires in North Dakota, state agency says
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Tennessee suspect in dozens of rapes is convicted of producing images of child sex abuse
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- College football Week 12 expert picks for every Top 25 game include SEC showdowns
- Amazon's 'Cross' almost gets James Patterson detective right: Review
- What is best start in NBA history? Five teams ahead of Cavaliers' 13-0 record
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- UFC 309: Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic fight card, odds, how to watch, date
- Stop What You're Doing—Moo Deng Just Dropped Her First Single
- Tesla issues 6th Cybertruck recall this year, with over 2,400 vehicles affected
Recommendation
Small twin
Smithfield agrees to pay $2 million to resolve child labor allegations at Minnesota meat plant
Dramatic video shows Phoenix police rescue, pull man from car submerged in pool: Watch
What Just Happened to the Idea of Progress?
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Mississippi expects only a small growth in state budget
What Just Happened to the Idea of Progress?
Dogecoin soars after Trump's Elon Musk announcement: What to know about the cryptocurrency