Current:Home > MyU.S. lifts weapons and training ban on Ukraine's Azov Brigade -Capitatum
U.S. lifts weapons and training ban on Ukraine's Azov Brigade
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 05:52:22
The United States has lifted restrictions on providing weapons and training for the high-profile Ukrainian military unit the Azov Brigade. The U.S. State Department confirmed Monday that the unit, which has played a significant role in Ukraine's effort to repel the ongoing invasion launched by Russia in February 2022, could now be trained by U.S. military personnel and use U.S.-provided weapons.
The State Department's move reversed a decade-old prohibition imposed on the Azov forces under the Leahy Law, which prohibits the U.S. from supplying weapons or financial assistance "to units of foreign security forces where there is credible information implicating that unit in the commission of gross violations of human rights."
The State Department said it had concluded there was "no evidence of Gross Violation of Human Rights committed by the 12th Azov Brigade."
The Azov Brigade was initially a volunteer force that rose to prominence in 2014, when Russian forces first crossed Ukraine's eastern border and started seizing land. The following year, it was integrated into Ukraine's National Guard. It will now have access to the same U.S. military assistance as any other unit in the National Guard.
According to The Washington Post, U.S. assistance to the Azov unit was barred under the Leahy Law about a decade ago, over concerns about its founder, the ultra-nationalist Andriy Biletsky, and other members having Nazi sympathies. Some members of what was then known as the Azov Battalion were described as being far-right and xenophobic — a narrative that has been repeatedly promoted by Russian propaganda campaigns to justify the invasion of Ukraine.
The State Department did not say when the ban was lifted, but a spokesperson said Monday that the original unit had been disbanded years ago and that vetting of the current brigade had found no evidence of gross human rights violations, leading to the restrictions being dropped.
The Azov Brigade posted a statement on social media welcoming a "new page in the history" for the unit, saying that "obtaining Western weapons and training from the United States will not only increase the combat ability of Azov, but most importantly, contribute to the preservation of the lives and the health of personnel."
In 2022, Russia's top court officially designated the Azov unit a terrorist group, and speaking Tuesday in Moscow, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that "such a sudden change in Washington's position shows that it will do anything to suppress Russia… even flirting with neo-Nazis."
Azov forces played a key role in defending the southern city of Mariupol, refusing to surrender for 80 days as they were holed–up in a sprawling steel mill with little ammunition and under blistering Russian artillery fire, before eventually laying down their weapons.
In Ukraine, the Azov troops have become a potent symbol of Ukrainian resistance in the war against Russia, and many remain in Russian captivity.
–Camilla Schick contributed reporting.
- In:
- Ukraine
- Russia
veryGood! (487)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Shohei Ohtani nearly hits home run out of Dodger Stadium against Boston Red Sox
- Oregon woman with flat tire hit by ambulance on interstate, dies
- Inter Miami stars Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez won’t play in MLS All-Star Game due to injury
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Blake Lively Reacts to Ryan Reynolds Divorce Rumors
- The 10 biggest Paris Olympics questions answered, from Opening Ceremony to stars to watch
- Investigators search for suspect in fatal shooting of Detroit-area officer
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Backpack
Ranking
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Ice cream trucks are music to our ears. But are they melting away?
- Wrexham’s Ollie Palmer Reveals What Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney Are Really Like as Bosses
- John Harbaugh says Lamar Jackson will go down as 'greatest quarterback' in NFL history
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Bernice Johnson Reagon, whose powerful voice helped propel the Civil Rights Movement, has died
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 19 drawing: Jackpot now worth $279 million
- JD Vance makes solo debut as GOP vice presidential candidate with Monday rallies in Virginia, Ohio
Recommendation
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Mega Millions winning numbers for July 19 drawing: Jackpot now worth $279 million
Happy birthday, Prince George! William and Kate share new photo of 11-year-old son
Higher tax rates, smaller child tax credit and other changes await as Trump tax cuts end
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Emotional Baseball Hall of Fame speeches filled with humility, humor, appreciation
Secret Service director says Trump assassination attempt was biggest agency ‘failure’ in decades
MLB trade deadline 2024: Biggest questions as uncertainty holds up rumor mill