Current:Home > MarketsIOC: Female boxers were victims of arbitrary decision by International Boxing Association -Capitatum
IOC: Female boxers were victims of arbitrary decision by International Boxing Association
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:18:55
PARIS – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) says two female boxers at the center of controversy over gender eligibility criteria were victims of a “sudden and arbitrary decision" by the International Boxing Association (IBA) in 2023.
Algerian boxer Imane Khelif and Lin Yu-ting of Taiwan both were disqualified from the 2023 women’s boxing world championships after the IBA claimed they had failed "gender eligibility tests." The IBA, which sanctions the world championships, made the announcement after Khelif and Lin won medals at the event in March 2023.
The IBA, long plagued with scandal and controversy, oversaw Olympics boxing before the IOC stripped it of the right before the Tokyo Games in 2021. Although the IBA has maintained control of the world championships, the IOC no longer recognizes the IBA as the international federation for boxing.
Citing minutes on the IBA’s website, the IOC said Thursday, “The current aggression against these two athletes is based entirely on this arbitrary decision, which was taken without any proper procedures – especially considering that these athletes had been competing in top level competition for many years."
The issue resurfaced this week when the IOC said both Khelif and Lin were eligible to compete at the Paris Olympics, and a furor erupted on social media Thursday after Khelif won her opening bout against Italy’s Angela Carini. Khelif landed one punch – on Carini’s nose – before the Italian boxer quit just 46 seconds into the welterweight bout at 146 pounds. Lin is scheduled to fight in her opening bout Friday.
2024 Olympic medals: Who is leading the medal count? Follow along as we track the medals for every sport.
With the likes of Jake Paul and J.K. Rowling expressing outrage over Khelif competing against other women, the IOC issued a statement later Thursday addressing the matter.
“The IOC is committed to protecting the human rights of all athletes participating in the Olympic Games," the organization said in a statement issued on social media. "… The IOC is saddened by the abuse that these two athletes are currently receiving."
The IOC said the gender and age of an athlete are based on their passports and that the current Olympic competition eligibility and entry regulations were in place during Olympic qualifying events in 2023. Both Lin and Khelif competed in the 2021 Tokyo Games and did not medal.
The IOC pointed to the IBA’s secretary general and CEO, Chris Roberts, as being responsible for disqualifying Khelif and Lin after they had won medals in 2023. Khelif won bronze, Lin gold before the IBA took them away.
Khelif, 25, made her amateur debut in 2018 at the Balkan Women's Tournament, according to BoxRec. She is 37-9 and has recorded five knockouts, according to BoxRec, and won a silver medal at the 2022 world championships.
Lin, 28, made her amateur debut in 2013 at the AIBA World Women's Youth Championships, according to BoxRec. She is 40-14 and has recorded one knockout, according to BoxRec, and won gold medals at the world championships in 2018 and 2022.
On Thursday, the IBA issued a statement saying the disqualification was "based on two trustworthy tests conducted on both athletes in two independent laboratories.''
veryGood! (919)
Related
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- D.C. United terminates Taxi Fountas' contract for using discriminatory language
- Trumpetfish: The fish that conceal themselves to hunt
- Writers Guild of America to resume negotiations with studios amid ongoing writers strike
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 'King Of The Hill' actor Johnny Hardwick, who voiced Dale Gribble, dies at 64
- Grocery deals, battery disposal and phone speed: These tech tips save you time and cash
- A Georgia teacher wants to overturn her firing for reading a book to students about gender identity
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Savannah Chrisley Celebrates Niece Chloe's First Day of 5th Grade
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried returns to New York as prosecutors push for his incarceration
- From 'Straight Outta Compton' to '8 Mile': Essential hip-hop movies to celebrate 50 years
- Da Brat and Wife Jesseca Judy Harris-Dupart Share First Photos of Son True Legend
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Suspended NASCAR Cup driver Noah Gragson asks for release from Legacy Motor Club
- Da'vian Kimbrough, 13, becomes youngest pro soccer player in U.S. after signing with the Sacramento Republic
- UN says 5 staff members kidnapped in Yemen 18 months ago walk free
Recommendation
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
With hundreds lost in the migrant shipwreck near Greece, identifying the dead is painfully slow
Tory Lanez maintains his innocence after 10-year prison sentence: 'I refuse to stop fighting'
Fire in vacation home for people with disabilities in France kills 11
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
17-year-old suspect in the New York stabbing of a dancer is indicted on a hate-crime murder charge
Katharine McPhee Misses David Foster Tour Shows Due to Horrible Family Tragedy
DeSantis is resetting his campaign again. Some Republicans worry his message is getting in the way