Current:Home > NewsDOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement -Capitatum
DOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:02:17
The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that it will pay nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse as part of a settlement stemming from the FBI's mishandling of the initial allegations.
USA TODAY Sports and The Wall Street Journal first reported last week that a settlement had been agreed upon and would stretch into nine figures. The Department of Justice specified in a news release that an amount of $138.7 million will be distributed to a group of 139 victims − working out to roughly $1 million per claimant, on average.
"These allegations should have been taken seriously from the outset," acting associate attorney general Benjamin Mizer said in a statement. "While these settlements won’t undo the harm Nassar inflicted, our hope is that they will help give the victims of his crimes some of the critical support they need to continue healing."
Olympic champions Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman were among the more than 100 victims who filed claims with the Department of Justice in 2022, roughly a year after the release of a report by the department's inspector general. The report found that FBI officials in Indianapolis failed to respond to allegations of abuse they received involving Nassar "with the utmost seriousness and urgency" in 2015, a delay that allowed the abuse to continue.
Nassar, the former U.S. women's national gymnastics team doctor and Michigan State employee, was found to have sexually assaulted more than 500 women and girls under the guise of providing medical treatment. He is now serving what will amount to a lifetime prison sentence on sexual assault and child pornography charges.
The victims who filed administrative claims with the Justice Department are represented by a large, disparate group of attorneys. But four of those attorneys, who represent 77 of the 139 claimants, described the settlement in a statement Tuesday as "monumental."
"We are proud to have achieved a monumental settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, that not only secures the recovery the survivors deserve but also holds the DOJ and FBI accountable for their failures," Thomas Behm, Megan Bonanni, Mick Grewal and Michael Pitt said in a joint statement.
"We hope this serves as a lesson for federal law enforcement and they make the changes necessary to prevent anything like this from happening again."
Tuesday's settlement brings the combined liability payouts in legal cases brought by victims of Nassar's abuse to more than $1 billion. Michigan State agreed to distribute $500 million to survivors, while USA Gymnastics reached a separate settlement with them worth $380 million.
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (155)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- SpaceX launches its 29th cargo flight to the International Space Station
- Lyrics can be used as evidence during rapper Young Thug's trial on gang and racketeering charges, judge rules
- Walmart's Early Black Friday Deals Almost Seem Too Good To Be True
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- A missile strike targets Kyiv as Russian train carriages derail due to ‘unauthorized interference’
- World War I-era munitions found in D.C. park — and the Army says there may be more
- NWSL Championship pits Megan Rapinoe vs. Ali Krieger in ideal finale to legendary careers
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Unpacking the Murder Conspiracy Case Involving Savannah Chrisley's Boyfriend Robert Shiver
Ranking
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Alo Yoga Early Black Friday Sale Is 30% Off Sitewide & It’s Serving Major Pops of Color
- A UK judge decries the legal tactics used by a sick child’s parents as he refuses to let her die at home
- Suspected Islamic extremists holding about 30 ethnic Dogon men hostage after bus raid, leader says
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Is C.J. Stroud's early NFL success a surprise? Not if you know anything about his past.
- USC quarterback Caleb Williams addresses crying video after loss to Washington
- Suspected Islamic extremists holding about 30 ethnic Dogon men hostage after bus raid, leader says
Recommendation
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
Peoria Book Rack is a true book lovers hub in Illinois: Here are the books they recommend
Morocco debates how to rebuild from September quake that killed thousands
Forever Chemicals’ Toxic Legacy at Chicago’s Airports
Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
One year after liberation, Ukrainians in Kherson hold on to hope amid constant shelling
DOC NYC documentary film festival returns, both in-person and streaming
Which stores are open and closed Thanksgiving 2023? See Target, Walmart, Costco holiday hours