Current:Home > ContactDelaware couple sentenced to over 150 years in prison for "indescribable" torture of sons -Capitatum
Delaware couple sentenced to over 150 years in prison for "indescribable" torture of sons
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 07:31:48
A Delaware woman who was convicted of torturing her two stepsons with the knowledge and help of their father was sentenced Thursday to 106 years in prison by a judge who called the abuse "the most extensive and persistent evil" he has ever seen.
Mary Vinson, 46, pleaded guilty last year to 30 felony counts including kidnapping, child abuse, strangulation and reckless endangering. She had faced a minimum sentence of 30 years and a maximum of 444 years.
"I didn't want to hurt them," Vinson said before sentencing, taking issue with the litany of horrors outlined by prosecutor Erik Towne and with the state's suggestion that she was "a monster."
"It didn't start out that way," she said. "I loved those boys like they were my own."
The boys' father, Charles Vinson, 37, was also sentenced Thursday, to 49 years. He pleaded guilty to 12 felony counts and had faced a minimum of 10 years and a maximum of 158 years.
"These children went through hell," said Attorney General Kathy Jennings said in a statement. "Now they never have to worry about their abusers again. Even when these cases are strong, they are not easy. The facts are chilling. Knowing what these children experienced weighs on all of us."
Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Clarke rejected defense requests to impose the minimum sentences, citing among other things the extreme cruelty of the crimes.
Video from surveillance cameras that monitored the large closet where the boys were kept naked and starving in horrific conditions did not tell the entire story of their suffering, the judge said.
"It will be impossible for them to forget the evil done to them," said Clarke, who refused a prosecution request to show some of the video excerpts in court. "They will carry this with them for the rest of their lives."
Defense attorney John Malik said Charles Vinson did not like conflict and felt manipulated by his wife: "He was in the middle between his wife and his kids, and admits that he failed his sons."
The judge noted that, while Charles Vinson was not the primary offender, he enabled the abuse, facilitated it and sometimes participated.
Charle Vinson said he took full responsibility for his actions and accepted the consequences of his "poor decisions" regarding his sons.
"I failed them, and I feel ashamed of myself to be called a father," Vinson said.
According to prosecutors, the boys were abused over a period of 20 months starting in early 2020. One was 9 to 10 years old at the time, while the other was abused between the ages of 11 and 13.
Both were hospitalized several times for severe malnutrition, with one requiring a hospital stay of almost a month. The Division of Family Services finally took custody of the boys in October 2021.
Authorities said the abuse included making the boys stand motionless for long periods of time, withholding food and water, force-feeding, and beating and strangling them. Prosecutor Kristin Dewalt said they were forced to wash themselves with the same water used to clean up their urine and feces.
"The torture Mrs. Vinson inflicted on these children is almost indescribable," Towne said.
Mark Hudson, representing the Office of the Child Advocate, said the boys are in foster care and doing markedly better, but they are still dealing with issues. Attempts at placing them with permanent families have proven unsuccessful, he said, with potential adopting parents declining to move forward after learning of the boys' history.
"These are the cases that keep us up at night," Attorney General Jennings said. "The evidence in this case is disturbing and my prayers are with the victims who, thank God, are somewhere safe."
- In:
- Delaware
- Child Abuse
veryGood! (8398)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Ranking
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Travis Hunter, the 2
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding