Current:Home > MarketsCalifornia orders Cruise driverless cars off the roads because of safety concerns -Capitatum
California orders Cruise driverless cars off the roads because of safety concerns
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:51:22
California has ordered the company Cruise to immediately stop operations of its driverless cars in the state. The Department of Motor Vehicles said on Tuesday that it was issuing the indefinite suspension because of safety issues with the vehicles.
"When there is an unreasonable risk to public safety, the DMV can immediately suspend or revoke permits," the DMV wrote in a statement. "There is no set time for a suspension."
The move comes after one of Cruise's driverless cars struck a pedestrian in downtown San Francisco earlier this month. The incident involved a woman who was first hit by a human driver and then thrown onto the road in front of a Cruise vehicle. The Cruise vehicle braked but then continued to roll over the pedestrian, pulling her forward, then coming to a final stop on top of her.
Rescuers used the jaws of life to remove the vehicle and free the woman. The pedestrian survived but sustained life-threatening injuries.
"Our teams are currently doing an analysis to identify potential enhancements to the AV's response to this kind of extremely rare event," said Navideh Forghani, a Cruise spokesperson.
Forghani said Cruise provided regulators a video of the incident and is complying with the DMV's order and "pausing operations." Those cars that have a human safety driver will be allowed to continue operating in the state.
The DMV originally gave Cruise a permit for 300 driverless vehicles in San Francisco, but it cut that number in half after one of its cars collided with a firetruck in August.
Driverless cars run by Cruise, which is owned by GM, and Waymo, which is owned by Alphabet, have been involved in numerous mishaps in the city over the past several months. They've run red lights, rear-ended a bus and blocked crosswalks and bike paths.
San Francisco's police and fire departments have also said the cars aren't yet ready for public roads. They've tallied more than 55 incidents where self-driving cars have gotten in the way of rescue operations. Those incidents include driving through yellow emergency tape, blocking firehouse driveways, running over fire hoses and refusing to move for first responders.
Despite those incidents, state regulators voted in August to allow self-driving car companies to expand their operations in San Francisco and other California cities. That prompted the city of San Francisco to file motions with the state demanding a halt to that expansion.
"We need actual people behind the wheel with a pulse and a brain that know how to maneuver in sticky situations," San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton said at Tuesday rally protesting the driverless cars. "These Cruise vehicles are dangerous on our streets. When they see tragedy or see danger or there's an obstacle in their way, all they know how to do is freeze."
Federal regulators are also looking at the safety of driverless cars. Last week, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into Cruise citing pedestrian safety concerns.
The crackdown on Cruise comes as GM announced during its earnings call this week that it is intent on expanding its driverless car program in the U.S.
veryGood! (373)
Related
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Mississippi state Sen. McLendon is cleared of DUI charge in Alabama, court records show
- New homes will continue to get smaller, according to new survey
- Why a London man named Bushe is on a mission to turn his neighbors' hedges into art
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Have a Shop Girl Summer With Megan Thee Stallion’s Prime Day Deals as Low as $5.50
- Jurickson Profar of San Diego Padres has taken road less traveled to first All-Star Game
- Horoscopes Today, July 16, 2024
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Former mayor known for guaranteed income programs launches bid for California lieutenant governor
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Bertram Charlton: Active or passive investing?
- High school coach in California accused of texting minors to commit sex crimes
- Money from Washington’s landmark climate law will help tribes face seawater rise, global warming
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Anger over Houston power outages after Beryl has repair crews facing threats from some residents
- Amazon Prime Day 2024 Sell-Out Risks: Crest, EltaMD, Laneige & More — Grab Them Before They're Gone
- Emma Roberts and boyfriend Cody John are engaged: See her ring
Recommendation
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
How Ariana Grande and Elizabeth Gillies Reprocessed Victorious After Quiet on Set
New homes will continue to get smaller, according to new survey
Jurickson Profar of San Diego Padres has taken road less traveled to first All-Star Game
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
More than 2 dozen human skeletons dating back more than 1,000 years found in hotel garden
Forest fire breaks out at major military gunnery range in New Jersey
Jarren Duran’s 2-run HR gives AL a 5-3 win over NL in All-Star Game started by rookie pitcher Skenes