Current:Home > ScamsAppeals court allows part of Biden student loan repayment plan to go forward -Capitatum
Appeals court allows part of Biden student loan repayment plan to go forward
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 02:28:18
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal appeals court has allowed the U.S. Education Department to move ahead with a plan to lower monthly payments for millions of student loan borrowers, putting on hold a ruling last week by a lower court.
The ruling from the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals puts back on track a central part of President Joe Biden’s efforts to address student debt — a rule that lowers from 10% of discretionary income to 5% the amount that some borrowers qualifying for a repayment plan need to pay.
The reduced payment threshold was set to take effect July 1, but federal judges in Kansas and Missouri last week blocked much of the administration’s student loan repayment plan in two separate rulings. The ruling on Sunday means the department can move ahead with the reduced payments already calculated while it pursues an appeal.
The rulings have created a difficult environment for borrowers to navigate, said Persis Yu, deputy executive director of the Student Borrower Protection Center, which advocates for eliminating student debt. The stay granted by the 10th Circuit is temporary, Yu said, leaving many borrowers in the dark about future financial obligations.
“Borrowers are having to make decisions right now about their financial lives, and they don’t know the very basic information that they need in order to make informed decisions,” Yu said.
The Biden administration created the SAVE plan last year to replace other existing income-based repayment plans offered by the federal government. It allowed many to qualify for lower payments, and forgiveness was granted to borrowers who had made payments for at least 10 years and originally borrowed $12,000 or less.
U.S. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said the Biden administrations remains committed “to our work to fix a broken student loan system and make college more affordable for more Americans.”
The appeals court ruling does not impact the injunction issued by a federal judge in Missouri, which prevents the Education Department from forgiving loan balances going forward.
The injunctions are the result of lawsuits from Republican-led states seeking to invalidate the Biden administration’s entire loan forgiveness program, which was first available to borrowers in the summer of 2023, and at least 150,000 have had their loans cancelled. The suing states argued that the administration’s plan was a workaround after the Supreme Court struck down the original plan for student loan forgiveness earlier that year.
___
The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.
veryGood! (735)
Related
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Senegal's President Macky Sall postpones national election indefinitely
- First Russians are fined or jailed over rainbow-colored items after LGBTQ+ ‘movement’ is outlawed
- 'Cozy cardio': What to know about the online fitness trend that's meant to be stress-free
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Pennsylvania governor’s budget could see significant payments to schools, economic development
- Tennessee’s strict abortion ban is under pressure, but change is unlikely under GOP control
- 'Category 5' was considered the worst hurricane. There's something scarier, study says.
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Toby Keith Dead at 62: Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean and More Pay Tribute
Ranking
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- NLRB official rules Dartmouth men's basketball team are employees, orders union vote
- Celine Dion is battling stiff person syndrome, a rare neurological disorder. What is it?
- Heidi Klum Reveals One Benefit of 16-Year Age Gap With Husband Tom Kaulitz
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Mississippi will spend billions on broadband. Advocates say needy areas have been ignored
- McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen
- COVID variant JN.1 now more than 90% of cases in U.S., CDC estimates
Recommendation
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Heidi Klum Reveals One Benefit of 16-Year Age Gap With Husband Tom Kaulitz
Senegal's President Macky Sall postpones national election indefinitely
Viral video of Tesla driver wearing Apple Vision Pro headset raises safety concerns
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Austin Butler Shares Why He Initially Didn’t Credit Ex Vanessa Hudgens With Inspiring Elvis Role
Patrick Mahomes at Super Bowl Opening Night: I'd play basketball just like Steph Curry
Kelsea Ballerini shuts down gossip about her reaction to Grammys loss: 'Hurtful to everyone'