Current:Home > InvestSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:2 robotaxi services seeking to bypass safety concerns and expand in San Francisco face pivotal vote -Capitatum
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:2 robotaxi services seeking to bypass safety concerns and expand in San Francisco face pivotal vote
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 06:54:11
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California regulators are SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Centerpoised to decide whether two rival robotaxi services can provide around-the-clock rides throughout San Francisco, despite escalating fears about recurring incidents that have caused the driverless vehicles to block traffic or imperil public safety.
If the state’s Public Utilities Commission approves expansions sought by robotaxi services Cruise and Waymo in a vote scheduled Thursday, San Francisco will become the first major U.S. city with two fleets of driverless vehicles competing for passengers against ride-hailing and taxi services dependent on humans to operate the cars.
It’s a distinction San Francisco officials don’t want, largely because of the headaches that Cruise and Waymo have been causing in the city while testing their robotaxis on a restricted basis during the past year.
Although they have so far been able to drive millions of cumulative miles without causing any major accidents, the robotaxis have come to unexpected stops that have created road blocks that have at times impeded firefighters and police, in addition to normal traffic. The robotaxis have also driven into areas where traffic is prohibited, including repeated incursions into places where firefighters and police officers have been responding to emergencies.
“They are still not ready for prime time because of the way they have impacted our operations,” San Francisco Fire Department Chief Jeanine Nicholson said during a four-hour hearing held Monday in advance of Thursday’s pivotal vote.
To underscore her point, Nicholson cited 55 written reports of the robotaxis interfering with emergency responses. She said she is worried the problems will get worse if Cruise and Waymo are allowed to operate their services wherever and whenever they want in San Francisco — raising the risk of their disruptions resulting in injury, death or the loss of property that could have been saved.
Officials for both Cruise, a subsidiary of General Motors, and Waymo, a spin-off from a secret project within Google, point to the mostly unblemished safety records that have proven their robotaxis are less dangerous than vehicles operated by people who can be distracted, intoxicated or just lousy drivers.
Both companies view approval of their San Francisco expansions as a major springboard to launching similar services in other congested cities that would benefit from a technology that they contend will be more reliable, convenient and cheaper than ride-hailing and taxi services reliant on human drivers.
Cruise on Monday disclosed it is currently testing 300 robotaxis during the day when it can only give rides for free, and 100 robotaxis at night when it has been allowed to charge for rides in less congested parts of San Francisco for the past 14 months. Waymo told regulators Monday that it is operating 250 robotaxis that so far have only been able to give free rides to volunteers and employees in San Francisco.
If their proposed expansions are approved, neither Cruise nor Waymo would be limited on how many robotaxis they could deploy in San Francisco. In a conference call with analysts last month, Cruise CEO Kyle Vogt suggested his service might eventually build a fleet large enough to compete against the more than 10,000 human drivers now working for ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft in San Francisco.
But the proposed San Francisco expansion has been facing increasingly staunch resistance, prompting regulators to postpone two previously scheduled votes on the issue in June and July.
In a May 31 letter urging state regulators to continue to restrict the operations of Cruise and Waymo, San Francisco transportation officials asserted the driverless vehicles rely on a “developmental technology that is not ready for unconstrainted commercial deployment.”
In a June 22 letter, the president of the union for San Francisco police officers warned of potentially dire consequences if Cruise and Waymo are allowed to expand throughout the city. Tracy McCray, the union president, cited a robotaxi obstructing emergency vehicles responding to a recent mass shooting that injured nine people as a chilling example of how the technology could imperil the public.
“While we all applaud advancements in technology, we must not be in such a rush that we forget the human element and the effects such technology unchecked can cause in dangerous situations,” McCray wrote. “Delays of even seconds in our line of work can be a matter of life or death.”
Officials for both both Cruise and Waymo on Monday sought to reassure regulators that they believe they have been able to fix most of the flaws that have cropping up and have set up response teams to help move stopped robotaxis within a few minutes.
Besides tinkering the technology controlling the robotaxis, Cruise and Waymo also said they have trained hundreds of San Francisco police and firefighters how to interact with the driverless vehicles. The training included instructions on how to gain manual control of the robotaxis — a process that can involve removing hundreds of pounds of equipment from the vehicles.
The training sessions haven’t appeased Nicholson, the San Francisco fire chief, who expressed frustration at the notion that firefighters responding to emergency situations should be expected to “babysit” robotaxis entering places where they shouldn’t be when every second counts.
“If we don’t get to one person, that’s one person too many we didn’t get to,” Nicholson said.
veryGood! (55639)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Minnesota man kills two women and two children at separate homes before killing himself, police say
- Georgia Senate Republicans keep John Kennedy as leader for next 2 years
- Monkeys still on the loose in South Carolina as authorities scramble to recapture them
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Judge strikes down Biden administration program shielding immigrant spouses from deportation
- New Hampshire rejects allowing judges to serve until age 75
- Ranked voting will determine the winner of Maine’s 2nd Congressional District
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- Liam Payne Death Case: Authorities Rule Out Suicide
Ranking
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Watch these classic animal welfare stories in National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week
- Massive corruption scandal in Jackson, Miss.: Mayor, DA, councilman all indicted
- Beyoncé is the leading nominee for 2025 Grammys with 11 nods, becoming most nominated ever
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Halle Bailey’s Ex DDG Defends Her Over Message About Son Halo Appearing on Livestream
- Video captures mountain lion in Texas backyard; wildlife department confirms sighting
- Horoscopes Today, November 7, 2024
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
43 monkeys remain on the run from South Carolina lab. CEO says he hopes they’re having an adventure
Investigation into Liam Payne's death prompts 3 arrests, Argentinian authorities say
Boy, 13, in custody after trying to enter Wisconsin elementary school while armed, police say
IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
A voter-approved Maine limit on PAC contributions sets the stage for a legal challenge
What to watch: We're mad about Mikey
AP VoteCast shows Trump boosted his level of support among Catholic voters