Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:53:10
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (31)
Related
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Usher Weighs In On Debate Over Keke Palmer's Concert Appearance After Her Boyfriend's Critical Comments
- Probe of whether police inaction contributed to any deaths in Robb attack is stalled
- Heat rash treatment: What to know about the condition and how to get rid of it quick
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Missing Oregon woman found dead after hiking in the heat in Phoenix
- 3 killed after helicopters collide, one crashes while fighting fire in California
- NASCAR Cup race at Michigan disrupted by rain, will resume Monday
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Grappling with new law, fearful Florida teachers tossing books, resellers say
Ranking
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Trump effort to overturn election 'aspirational', U.S. out of World Cup: 5 Things podcast
- Christmas Tree Shops announces 'last day' sale; closing remaining locations in 16 states
- Taylor Swift fan's 'Fantasy Swiftball' game gives Swifties another way to enjoy Eras Tour
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Boating this summer? It's important to take precautions—bring these safety items
- Survival teacher Woniya Thibeault was asked about a nail salon. Instead, she won 'Alone.'
- How small changes to buildings could save millions of birds
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $260 Crossbody Bag for Just $59
Former FBI agent to plead guilty in oligarch-related case
How small changes to buildings could save millions of birds
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Russia blasts Saudi Arabia talks on ending war in Ukraine after Moscow gets no invitation to attend
USWNT ousted from World Cup: Team USA reels from historic loss to Sweden
Gunfire at Louisiana home kills child, wounds 2 police and 3 others