Current:Home > NewsResidents and fishermen file a lawsuit demanding a halt to the release of Fukushima wastewater -Capitatum
Residents and fishermen file a lawsuit demanding a halt to the release of Fukushima wastewater
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:25:42
TOKYO (AP) — Fishermen and residents of Fukushima and five other prefectures along Japan’s northeastern coast filed a lawsuit Friday demanding a halt to the ongoing release of treated radioactive wastewater from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant into the sea.
In the lawsuit filed with Fukushima District Court, the 151 plaintiffs, two-thirds from Fukushima and the rest from Tokyo and four other prefectures, say the discharge damages the livelihoods of the fishing community and violates residents’ right to live peacefully, their lawyers said.
The release of the treated and diluted wastewater into the ocean, which began Aug. 24 and is expected to continue for several decades, is strongly opposed by fisheries groups that worry it will hurt the image of their catch even if it’s safe.
Three reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant melted after a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami in 2011 destroyed its cooling systems. The plant continues to produce highly radioactive water which is collected, treated and stored in about 1,000 tanks that cover much of the plant complex.
The government and the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, say the tanks need to be removed to allow the plant’s decommissioning.
The plaintiffs are demanding the revocation of safety permits granted by the Nuclear Regulation Authority for the wastewater’s release and a halt to the discharge, lawyer Kenjiro Kitamura said.
The government and TEPCO say the treated water meets legally releasable levels and is further diluted by hundreds of times with seawater before being released into the sea. The International Atomic Energy Agency, which reviewed the release plan at Japan’s request, concluded that the release’s impact on the environment, marine life and humans will be negligible.
“The intentional release to the sea is an intentional harmful act that adds to the (nuclear plant) accident,” said another lawyer, Hiroyuki Kawai. He said the ocean is a public resource and it is unethical for a company to discharge wastewater into it.
TEPCO said it could not comment until it receives a copy of the lawsuit.
China banned all imports of Japanese seafood in response to the release, while Hong Kong and Macau suspended imports from 10 prefectures including Fukushima. Groups in South Korea have also condemned the discharge.
China is the biggest importer of Japanese seafood, and its ban has hit the industry hard.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s Cabinet on Tuesday approved a 20.7 billion yen ($141 million) emergency fund to help exporters hurt by the Chinese ban. The fund is in addition to 80 billion yen ($547 million) that the government previously allocated to support fisheries and seafood processing and combat reputational damage to Japanese products.
Kishida said while attending a summit of Southeast Asian leaders in Indonesia that China’s ban contrasts sharply with a broad understanding of the release shown by many other countries.
veryGood! (7161)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Super Bowl LVIII: Nickelodeon to air a kid-friendly, SpongeBob version of the big game
- European soccer body UEFA pledges at UN to do more to promote human rights and fight discrimination
- Can anything stop the toxic smog of New Delhi?
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Texas high school sends Black student back to in-school suspension over his locs hairstyle
- Six weeks before Iowa caucuses, DeSantis super PAC sees more personnel departures
- Jamie Foxx makes first public appearance since hospitalization, celebrates ability to walk
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Jets drop Tim Boyle, add Brett Rypien in latest QB shuffle
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Video shows Alabama police officer using stun gun against handcuffed man
- Which four Republicans will be on stage for the fourth presidential debate?
- Rose Previte, of D.C.'s Michelin star restaurant Maydān, releases her debut cookbook
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- 2 plead guilty in fire at Atlanta Wendy’s restaurant during protest after Rayshard Brooks killing
- Sen. Scott joins DeSantis in calling for resignation of state GOP chair amid rape investigation
- Paraguay rounds up ex-military leaders in arms smuggling sting carried out with Brazil
Recommendation
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
House explodes as police in Arlington, Virginia, try to execute search warrant, officials say
Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes' Exes, Andrew Shue and Marilee Fiebig, Are Dating
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is out. Here's why the hype is huge
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Florida discontinues manatee winter feeding program after seagrass conditions improve
Taraji P. Henson on the message of The Color Purple
U.S. military releases names of crew members who died in Osprey crash off coast of Japan