Current:Home > StocksSouth Korean police raid house of suspect who stabbed opposition leader Lee in the neck -Capitatum
South Korean police raid house of suspect who stabbed opposition leader Lee in the neck
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 03:43:32
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korean police on Wednesday raided the residence and office of a man who stabbed the country’s opposition leader, Lee Jae-myung, in the neck in an attack that left him hospitalized in an intensive care unit, officials said.
The assault occurred when Lee was passing through a throng of journalists after visiting the proposed site of a new airport in the southeastern city of Busan on Tuesday. The attacker, posing as a supporter, approached Lee asking for his autograph before he took out a 18-centimeter (7-inch) knife to attack him.
After receiving emergency treatment in Busan, Lee was transported by a helicopter to the Seoul National University Hospital for surgery. Cho Jeong-sik, the party’s secretary general, said Wednesday the two-hour surgery was successful and that Lee remained in the hospital’s intensive care unit for recovery. Police and emergency officials earlier said Lee was conscious after the attack and wasn’t in critical condition.
The suspect was detained by police immediately after the attack. Police said he told investigators he attempted to kill Lee and that he had plotted his attack alone, but his motive is unknown.
Busan police said they sent officers to search the suspect’s residence and office in the central city of Asan on Wednesday as part of their investigation. Police said they plan to ask for a formal arrest warrant for the suspect over alleged attempted murder.
Police disclosed few further details about the suspect except that he was aged about 67 and bought the climbing knife online. Police refused to disclose what kind of office he has in Asan, but local media photos showed officers searching a real estate office.
Lee, 59, is a tough-speaking liberal who lost the 2022 presidential election to President Yoon Suk Yeol by 0.7 percentage points, the narrowest margin recorded in a South Korean presidential election. Their closely fought presidential race and post-election bickering between their allies have deepened South Korea’s already-toxic conservative-liberal divide.
Recent public surveys have put Lee as one of the two leading early favorites for the next presidential election in 2027, along with Yoon’s popular former justice minister, Han Dong-hoon. Yoon is by law barred from seeking reelection.
In a New Year meeting involving top officials, politicians and general citizens on Wednesday, Yoon repeated his wish for Lee’s quick recovery. He also condemned the assault on Lee as “a terrorist attack” that is “an enemy to all of us and an enemy to liberal democracy,” according to his office. Lee was supposed to attend that meeting.
Lee has been a vocal critic of Yoon. Last year, he launched a 24-day hunger strike to protest Yoon’s major policies, including what he called Yoon’s refusal to firmly oppose Japan’s release of treated radioactive wastewater from its crippled Fukushima nuclear power.
Lee has been grappling with a prolonged prosecutors’ investigation over a range of corruption allegations. Lee has denied legal wrongdoing and accused Yoon’s government of pursuing a political vendetta.
__
Associated Press writer Jiwon Song contributed to this report.
veryGood! (36743)
Related
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Pakistan effectively shuts the key crossing into Afghanistan to truck drivers
- Beverly Johnson reflects on historic Vogue magazine cover 50 years later: I'm so proud
- In 100 days, the Israel-Hamas war has transformed the region. The fighting shows no signs of ending
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- 2 rescued after SUV gets stuck 10 feet in the air between trees in Massachusetts
- Speaker Johnson insists he’s sticking to budget deal but announces no plan to stop partial shutdown
- Alaska ombudsman says Adult Protective Services’ negligent handling of vulnerable adult led to death
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Lawmakers investigating UAPs, or UFOs, remain frustrated after closed-door briefing with government watchdog
Ranking
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- The FAA is tightening oversight of Boeing and will audit production of the 737 Max 9
- Iowa campaign events are falling as fast as the snow as the state readies for record-cold caucuses
- Mary Lou Retton's health insurance explanation sparks some mental gymnastics
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Police in Puerto Rico capture a rhesus macaque monkey chased by a crowd at a public housing complex
- The Australian Open and what to know: Earlier start. Netflix curse? Osaka’s back. Nadal’s not
- Florida school district pulls dictionaries and encyclopedias as part of inappropriate content review
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Spain forward Jenni Hermoso says former coach Jorge Vilda made players feel uncomfortable
Biden says student borrowers with smaller loans could get debt forgiveness in February. Here's who qualifies.
The avalanche risk is high in much of the western US. Here’s what you need to know to stay safe
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
Washington coach Kalen DeBoer expected to replace Nick Saban at Alabama
Sam's Club announces it will stop checking receipts and start using AI at exits
South Dakota House passes permanent sales tax cut bill