Current:Home > InvestTrump ordered to pay legal fees after failed lawsuit over ‘shocking and scandalous’ Steele dossier -Capitatum
Trump ordered to pay legal fees after failed lawsuit over ‘shocking and scandalous’ Steele dossier
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 05:57:01
LONDON (AP) — Former U.S. President Donald Trump has been ordered to pay a six-figure legal bill to a company founded by a former British spy that he unsuccessfully sued for making what his lawyer called “shocking and scandalous” false claims that harmed his reputation.
A London judge, who threw out the case against Orbis Business Intelligence last month saying it was “bound to fail,” ordered Trump to pay legal fees of 300,000 pounds ($382,000), according to court documents released Thursday.
The British court case was one of few in which Trump, who is almost sure to win the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, was not a defendant as he faces massive legal problems back home.
Trump is charged in four criminal cases and faces a civil complaint in U.S. courts. He lost a subsequent defamation case in which a jury found him liable for sexual abuse, and has been ordered to pay $355 million after a fraud verdict against his businesses.
In England, he had gone on the offensive and sued Orbis, which was founded by Christopher Steele, who once ran the Russia desk for Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service, also known as MI6.
Steele was paid by Democrats for research that included salacious allegations Russians could potentially use to blackmail Trump. The so-called Steele dossier assembled in 2016 created a political storm just before Trump’s inauguration with rumors and uncorroborated allegations that have since been largely discredited.
Trump sued the company, saying the the dossier was phony and Orbis had violated British data protection laws.
Attorney Hugh Tomlinson said at an October hearing that the former president “suffered personal and reputational damage and distress” over claims in the dossier that he’d taken part in “sex parties” in St. Petersburg and consorted with sex workers in Moscow.
Tomlinson said the dossier “contained shocking and scandalous claims about the personal conduct of President Trump” and included allegations he paid bribes to Russian officials to further his business interests.
Orbis said the lawsuit should be thrown out because the report was never meant to be made public and was published by BuzzFeed without the permission of Steele or Orbis. It also said the claim was filed too late.
Judge Karen Steyn, who sided with Orbis in her Feb. 1 ruling, issued an order several days later on the legal costs.
She cut the amount of legal bills Orbis said it incurred — 634,000 pounds ($809,000) — by more than 50% because she said it was high considering there had only been a one-day hearing.
In 2022, a U.S. federal judge in Florida dismissed a Trump lawsuit against Steele, 2016 Democratic rival Hillary Clinton and former top FBI officials, rejecting his claims that they helped concoct the Russia investigation that overshadowed much of his administration.
veryGood! (75)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- San Francisco Chinatown seniors welcome in the Lunar New Year with rap
- It's easy to focus on what's bad — 'All That Breathes' celebrates the good
- 'All American' showrunner is a rarity in Hollywood: A Black woman in charge
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- 10 pieces of well-worn life advice you may need to hear right now
- In the 'Last Dance,' Magic Mike leaves his thong-and-dance routine behind
- An ancient fresco is among 60 treasures the U.S. is returning to Italy
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- We love-love 'Poker Face', P-P-'Poker Face'
Ranking
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Hot and kinda bothered by 'Magic Mike'; plus Penn Badgley on bad boys
- Whatever she touches 'turns to gold' — can Dede Gardner do it again at the Oscars?
- What even are Oscar predictions, really?
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- 'Camera Man' unspools the colorful life of silent film star Buster Keaton
- Tom Sizemore, 'Saving Private Ryan' actor, has died at 61
- Get these Sundance 2023 movies on your radar now
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Has 'Cheers' aged like fine wine? Or has it gone bitter?
Why 'Everything Everywhere All At Once' feels more like reality than movie magic
'Olivia' creator and stage designer Ian Falconer dies at 63
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
The Missouri House tightens its dress code for women, to the dismay of Democrats
'Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania' shrinks from its duties
New graphic novel explores the life of 'Queenie,' Harlem Renaissance mob boss