Current:Home > MyDrew Barrymore Uninvited From National Book Awards After Restarting Her Talk Show During Strike -Capitatum
Drew Barrymore Uninvited From National Book Awards After Restarting Her Talk Show During Strike
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:19:16
The National Book Awards has parted ways with Drew Barrymore.
In solidarity with the ongoing Writers Guild of America strike, the annual literary awards confirmed to E! News that the Charlie's Angels actress will no longer emcee the event amid the news of her eponymous daytime talk show's return for season four without its writers.
"The National Book Awards is an evening dedicated to celebrating the power of literature, and the incomparable contributions of writers to our culture," the National Book Awards told E! News in a statement Sept. 13. "In light of the announcement that The Drew Barrymore Show will resume production, the National Book Foundation has rescinded Ms. Barrymore's invitation to host the 74th National Book Awards Ceremony."
The organization's statement continued, "Our commitment is to ensure that the focus of the Awards remains on celebrating writers and books, and we are grateful to Ms. Barrymore and her team for their understanding in this situation."
Barrymore had sparked backlash over the decision to resume the show, which has begun filming and is set to premiere Sept. 18, more than four months into the WGA strike. And the Scream alum, who'd previously stepped down as host of the 2023 MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with the writers, defended the decision to return to her talk show.
"I made a choice to walk away from the MTV, film and television awards because I was the host and it had a direct conflict with what the strike was dealing with which was studios, streamers, film, and television," she wrote on Instagram. "It was also in the first week of the strike and so I did what I thought was the appropriate thing at the time to stand in solidarity with the writers."
Noting that her show hadn't shut down because of the strike—season three concluded filming April 20—the 48-year-old said the fourth season will be "in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind." Moreover, Barrymore said she owned the choice to return to air Sept. 18.
"We launched live in a global pandemic," she continued. "Our show was built for sensitive times and has only functioned through what the real world is going through in real time. I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience. I hope for a resolve for everyone as soon as possible. We have navigated difficult times since we first came on air. And so I take a step forward to start season 4 once again with an astute humility."
Barrymore was slammed by the Writers Guild of America, who, along with the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, have been picketing studios represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) after failing to agree on a new contract. (WTA started picketing in May before being joined by SAG-AFTRA in July.)
"The @DrewBarrymoreTVShow is a WGA covered, struck show that is planning to return without its writers," the organization wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. "The Guild has, and will continue to, picket struck shows that are in production during the strike. Any writing on The Drew Barrymore Show is in violation of WGA strike rules."
The fourth season of the Drew Barrymore Show will premiere Sept. 18.
(Comcast, which owns E! News' parent company NBCUniversal, is one of the entertainment companies represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (8)
Related
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Judge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case
- Stock market today: Asian shares decline after a mixed post-holiday session on Wall Street
- NFL kicker Brandon McManus sued, accused of sexual assault on 2023 Jaguars flight
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Body of newborn infant found at recreation area in northwest Missouri
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares She Experienced 5 Failed IVF Cycles and 3 Retrievals Before Having Son Rocky
- 17 money-saving sites to find an EV charging station, Social Security payout and more
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Louisiana police searching for 2 escaped prisoners after 4 slipped through fence
Ranking
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Billionaire plans to take submersible to Titanic nearly one year after OceanGate implosion
- Linen Clothing Is the Chicest Way To Stay Cool This Summer: What To Buy Right Now
- How Blac Chyna and Boyfriend Derrick Milano Celebrated Their First Anniversary
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Horoscopes Today, May 26, 2024
- NFL kicker Brandon McManus sued, accused of sexual assault on 2023 Jaguars flight
- RHOC's Heather Dubrow Teases Shannon Beador, Alexis Bellino, John Janssen Love Triangle Drama
Recommendation
USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
Body of newborn infant found at recreation area in northwest Missouri
Stetson Bennett took break for mental health last season, 'excited' to be with LA Rams
Bette Nash, who was named the world’s longest-serving flight attendant, dies at 88
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Best Buy is the most impersonated company by scammers, FTC says
Libertarians choose Chase Oliver as presidential nominee, rejecting Trump, RFK Jr.
Former Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis barred from practicing in Colorado for three years