Current:Home > FinanceGymnastics Ireland issues ‘unreserved’ apology for Black gymnast medal snub -Capitatum
Gymnastics Ireland issues ‘unreserved’ apology for Black gymnast medal snub
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:11:30
LONDON -- Ireland’s gymnastics federation has issued an apology after footage emerged of a young Black gymnast being passed over for a medal at a presentation ceremony.
The viral video, which has re-emerged on social media, depicts an official awarding medals to a lineup of eager young gymnasts on a podium at a gymnastics event in Dublin in March 2022.
The official is captured handing out medals to all competitors while appearing to snub the only Black gymnast in the lineup before concluding the presentation, walking off with the last remaining medal in her possession.
“On behalf of the Board and staff of Gymnastics Ireland we would like to unreservedly apologise to the gymnast and her family for the upset that has been caused by the incident,” Gymnastics Ireland, the sport’s governing body, said in a statement. “What happened on the day should not have happened and for that we are deeply sorry.”
“We identified the official concerned and informed the individual in question of the complaint. The official in question accepted fully that what had happened had not been acceptable but stressed that it has not been intentional. We are committed to ensuring nothing like this will happen again,” the statement continued.
The video, which has been viewed over 19 million times, has drawn widespread indignation online including seven-time Olympic medalist Simone Biles. Writing on X, formerly known as Twitter, Biles says the incident broke her heart: “When this video was circulating, her parents reached out. It broke my heart to see.”
“There is no room for racism in any sport or at all!” said Biles.
Biles said she reached out to the young gymnast last year in a private video message, expressing her support.
The now-viral incident occurred at the Gymnastics Ireland’s GymStart event in March 2022. Gymstart is described as a program "designed to allow any gymnast, regardless of age or ability, to take part in and enjoy gymnastics."
Speaking anonymously to the Irish Independent, the mother of the young gymnast says the incident was upsetting for the family.
“We are often the only black family at gymnastic events and this has been very hurtful,” she said. “Now eight million people have seen the video. From Pakistan to Ethiopia, they can see this was wrong.”
The gymnast's mother also expressed disappointment in Gymnastics Ireland’s apology, telling the Irish Independent that they received a “one-line” written apology from the official addressed "to whom it may concern>"
Gymnastics Ireland is yet to respond to ABC News’ requests for further comment.
Speaking to ABC News, Perry Ogden, CEO of Sport Against Racism Ireland (SARI) raises the question as to why the apology took so long.
“What has been most disturbing in this particular case is the time it has taken for due process to be carried out,” says Ogden. “It is now 18 months since the incident. The board of Gymnastics Ireland finally made an apology to the family on Sunday. This is unacceptable.”
“It is not fair on the family, nor the woman who failed to give the young girl a medal," Ogden said. "The woman was wrong, but we understand she tried to make an apology to the family and this apology was withheld by the organization.”
Following the incident, the family of young girl have requested for the video to be taken down.
The young gymnast continues to participate in Gymnastics Ireland events.
veryGood! (357)
Related
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Attorney Demand Letter Regarding Unauthorized Use and Infringement of [QUANTUM PROSPERITY CONSORTIUM Investment Education Foundation's Brand Name]
- Western nations were desperate for Korean babies. Now many adoptees believe they were stolen
- As fire raged nearby, a tiny town’s zoo animals were driven to safety
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Patriots vs. Jets score, highlights: Aaron Rodgers leads New York to blowout win
- YouTuber MrBeast, Amazon sued by reality show contestants alleging abuse, harassment
- Road work inspector who leaped to safety during Baltimore bridge collapse to file claim
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- YouTuber MrBeast, Amazon sued by reality show contestants alleging abuse, harassment
Ranking
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Apple releases iOS 18 update for iPhone: Customizations, Messages, other top changes
- Watch these puppies enjoy and end-of-summer pool party
- In-person voting for the US presidential contest is about to start as Election Day closes in
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Trump Media plummets to new low on the first trading day the former president can sell his shares
- Tourists can finally visit the Oval Office. A replica is opening near the White House on Monday
- A night with Peter Cat Recording Co., the New Delhi band that’s found global appeal
Recommendation
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
Yankee Candle Doorbuster Sale: Save 40% on Almost Everything — Candles, ScentPlug, Holiday Gifts & More
The cause of a fire that injured 2 people at a Louisiana chemical plant remains under investigation
Rome Odunze's dad calls out ESPN's Dan Orlovsky on social media with game footage
Sam Taylor
At Google antitrust trial, documents say one thing. The tech giant’s witnesses say different
US agency review says Nevada lithium mine can co-exist with endangered flower
50 years after ‘The Power Broker,’ Robert Caro’s dreams are still coming true