Current:Home > ScamsGiuliani to appear in a NYC court after missing a deadline to surrender assets -Capitatum
Giuliani to appear in a NYC court after missing a deadline to surrender assets
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 05:54:01
Follow live: Updates from AP’s coverage of the presidential election.
NEW YORK (AP) — Rudy Giuliani will appear in a New York City courtroom on Thursday to explain to a federal judge why he hasn’t surrendered his valuables as part of a $148 million defamation judgment.
U.S. District Judge Lewis Liman ordered the former New York City mayor to report to court after lawyers for the two former Georgia election workers who were awarded the massive judgment visited Giuliani’s Manhattan apartment last week only to discover it had been cleared out weeks earlier.
The judge had set an Oct. 29 deadline for the longtime ally of once-and-future President Donald Trump to surrender many of his possessions to lawyers for Ruby Freeman and her daughter, Wandrea “Shaye” Moss.
The possessions include his $5 million Upper East Side apartment, a 1980 Mercedes once owned by movie star Lauren Bacall, a shirt signed by New York Yankees legend Joe DiMaggio, dozens of luxury watches and other valuables.
Liman originally scheduled a phone conference about the situation, but he changed it to a hearing in Manhattan federal court that Giuliani must attend after the judge learned about the visit to the former mayor’s apartment.
Aaron Nathan, an attorney for the election workers, wrote in a letter to Liman that the residence was already “substantially empty” when representatives for his clients visited with a moving company official to assess the transportation and storage needs for the property Giuliani was ordered to surrender.
He said the group was told most of the apartment’s contents, including art, sports memorabilia and other valuables, had been moved out about four weeks prior — some of it placed in storage on Long Island.
Representatives for Giuliani did not respond to an email Wednesday seeking comment.
They have so far argued unsuccessfully that Giuliani should not be forced to turn over his belongings while he appeals the judgment.
Liman also denied a request from Giuliani’s legal team to postpone Thursday’s court appearance to next week or hold it by phone, as originally planned.
A Giuliani spokesperson, meanwhile, dismissed the legal wrangling as intimidation tactics.
“Opposing counsel, acting either negligently or deliberately in a deceptive manner, are simply attempting to further bully and intimidate Mayor Giuliani until he is rendered penniless and homeless,” Ted Goodman, his spokesperson, said earlier this week.
Giuliani was found liable for defamation for falsely accusing Freeman and Moss of ballot fraud as he pushed Trump’s unsubstantiated election fraud allegations during the 2020 campaign.
The women said they faced death threats after Giuliani accused the two of sneaking in ballots in suitcases, counting ballots multiple times and tampering with voting machines.
veryGood! (1523)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- We couldn't get back: Americans arrive in U.S. from Israel after days of travel challenges
- Israeli video compilation shows the savagery and ease of Hamas’ attack
- Los Angeles hit with verdict topping $13 million in death of man restrained by police officers
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Mandy Moore Reveals What She Learned When 2-Year-Old Son Gus Had Gianotti-Crosti Syndrome
- Police search for suspected extremist accused of killing 2 Swedish soccer fans on a Brussels street
- Overwhelmed by the war in Israel? Here's how to protect your mental health.
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Stock market today: World shares gain on back of Wall Street rally as war shock to markets fades
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- 'Take a lesson from the dead': Fatal stabbing of 6-year-old serves warning to divided US
- M&M's Halloween Rescue Squad might help save you from an empty candy bowl on Halloween
- National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan says U.S. working on safe passage of Americans out of Gaza into Egypt
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Sri Lanka lifts ban on cricketer Gunathilaka after acquittal of rape charges in Australia
- Natalee Holloway Case: Suspect Expected to Share Details of Her Death 18 Years After Disappearance
- How Quran burnings in Sweden have increased threats from Islamic militants
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Wisconsin Senate to pass $2 billion income tax cut, reject Evers’ $1 billion workforce package
French prosecutor says alleged attacker in school stabbing declared allegiance to Islamic State
Greta Thunberg joins activists to disrupt oil executives’ forum in London
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
Palestinian medics in Gaza struggle to save lives under Israeli siege and bombardment
Antonio Brown arrested in Florida over unpaid child support allegations
For the first time, Ukraine has used US-provided long-range ATACMS missiles against Russian forces