Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Exclusive video shows Steve Buscemi and man who allegedly punched him moments before random attack in NYC -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Exclusive video shows Steve Buscemi and man who allegedly punched him moments before random attack in NYC
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 02:56:59
NEW YORK -- Actor Steve Buscemi appeared to be looking at his phone moments before he was randomly punched in New York City, exclusive video obtained by CBS New York shows.
Buscemi was attacked in Manhattan last week, according to his publicist.
Police on Tuesday identified the suspect as 50-year-old Clifton Williams. They are still looking for him.
Suspect appeared to be talking to himself
Video shows the 66-year-old "Boardwalk Empire" actor walking south on Third Avenue just before noon on May 8. Then, he looks up to greet someone before crossing East 27th Street.
Police said a man wearing blue punched Buscemi moments after he crossed the street. It was unprovoked.
"I feel like it's crazy, but it's believable it happens. I live right around here and I hear it all the time," said Juliana Tronconi.
More exclusive video shows the suspect appeared to be talking to himself while walking north on Third Avenue moments before the attack.
Buscemi, a Brooklyn native and former FDNY firefighter, was taken to Bellevue Hospital for bruising, swelling and bleeding to his left eye.
Photos have emerged showing Buscemi with a bruised face. He declined an on-camera interview.
"Another victim of a random act of violence in the city"
On 9/11, Buscemi went to Ground Zero to help his former engine company, and he received keys to the city in 2021.
A rep for Buscemi said he's now "another victim of a random act of violence in the city."
"He is OK and appreciates everyone's well wishes, though incredibly sad for everyone that this has happened to while also walking the streets of New York," the rep added.
The NYPD says felony assaults in New York City are up 15 percent year-to-date, and misdemeanor assaults have increased by about 7 percent.
"It's horrible actually. I got attacked right here too, years ago," said Richard Robbins of Kips Bay. "I was walking down the street and somebody came by and smacked me in the back of my head and knocked me down."
"It's a reflection of the leadership of our country and our city," another man said. "They'd arrest you but you'd be out the next day or that afternoon. So why not punch out Steve Buscemi?"
Former NYPD Deputy Commissioner Rich Esposito told CBS New York random attacks can be challenging for law enforcement, because "they're not predictable."
"We are seeing an uptick, and of course that's scary to all of us, but it doesn't mean it's a trend that's going to continue," he said.
Buscemi the latest actor attacked in NYC
Buscemi's "Boardwalk Empire" co-star Michael Stuhlbarg was also attacked at random while on a run on the Upper East Side in March. A suspect was arrested.
In 2020, actor Rick Moranis was randomly attacked on the Upper West Side. Prosecutors said that suspect was facing charges in several other incidents.
Anyone with any information on the suspect in Buscemi's case is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477), or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). You can also submit a tip via their website or via DM on Twitter, @NYPDTips. All calls are kept confidential.
- In:
- Manhattan
- New York City
Lisa Rozner joined CBS2 in 2017.
Twitter FacebookveryGood! (92629)
Related
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Georgia restricts Fulton County’s access to voter registration system after cyber intrusion
- Utah Legislature Takes Aim at Rights of Nature Movement
- Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting Case
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Taylor Swift's Travis Kelce-themed jewelry is surprisingly affordable. Here's where to buy
- Duke Energy seeks new ways to meet the Carolinas’ surging electric demand
- Sports is the leading edge in the fight against racism. Read 29 Black Stories in 29 Days.
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Federal investigators examining collapsed Boise airplane hangar that killed 3
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Blindspot' podcast offers a roadmap of social inequities during the AIDS crisis
- Apple ends yearlong sales slump with slight revenue rise in holiday-season period but stock slips
- Prosecutors detail possible expert witnesses in federal case against officers in Tyre Nichols death
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Capitol Police close investigation into Senate sex tape: No evidence that a crime was committed
- Probe into dozens of Connecticut state troopers finds 7 who ‘may have’ falsified traffic stop data
- Tennessee Gov. Lee picks Mary Wagner to fill upcoming state Supreme Court vacancy
Recommendation
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Police officer found guilty of using a baton to strike detainee
Mobsters stole a historical painting from a family; 54 years later the FBI brought it home
Mobsters stole a historical painting from a family; 54 years later the FBI brought it home
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
The Best Waterproof Shoes That Will Keep You Dry & Warm While Elevating Your Style
Here’s What’s Coming to Netflix in February 2024
Her son was a school shooter. She's on trial. Experts say the nation should be watching.