Current:Home > ScamsDeath toll on Maui climbs to 80, as questions over island's emergency response grow -Capitatum
Death toll on Maui climbs to 80, as questions over island's emergency response grow
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 06:49:08
Rescue teams continue to search for survivors in Maui as the death toll from the devastating wildfires has risen to 80 and officials begin to assess the emergency response. Meanwhile, firefighters are still working to contain three separate wildfires on the Hawaiian island.
In the historic town of Lahaina, much of which was destroyed, about 85% of the fire has been contained, local officials said Friday night.
Containment does not necessarily mean a fire is not raging on. Rather, it refers to the perimeter that fire crews were able to create around the fire to keep it from spreading. That means, even if a fire is 100% contained, it could still be burning.
The Lahaina Fire in West Maui is estimated to have burned 2,170 acres and damaged or destroyed more than 2,200 structures. About 86% of the buildings that were exposed to the fire were residential, the Pacific Disaster Center said on Saturday.
In Ka'anapali, also in West Maui, a small fire that was sparked on Friday and forced mass evacuations has been completely contained. But the brief flames disrupted plans to distribute fuel on Saturday that had been stored in the area, local officials said.
Meanwhile, in South Maui, the blaze scorching Pulehu has been 80% contained.
On Friday, Attorney General Anne Lopez announced that her department will be conducting a review of decisions made leading up to, during and after the historic wildfires. The inquiry comes amid accusations from some residents that there were no warning sirens on Tuesday ahead of the fires, failing to give them enough time to prepare.
Much of the western part of Maui remains without power or water. Though some cell service has been restored, authorities have asked residents to text rather than talk over the phone because of severely limited bandwidth.
Access into West Maui has also been restricted, though the highway for vehicles leaving Lahaina remains open. Lahaina remains barricaded, with authorities warning people to stay out of the area due to toxic airborne particles. Officials also advise people nearby to wear masks and gloves.
More than 1,400 people remain in evacuation shelters on the island. A family assistance center is open this weekend in the city of Kahului for those looking for information about loved ones who are still unaccounted for.
About 1,000 people are missing, Maui County Police Chief John Pelletier estimated on Thursday, though he cautioned that "honestly we don't know."
NPR's Jason DeRose contributed to this report.
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Diddy arrest punctuates long history of legal troubles: Unraveling old lawsuits, allegations
- Federal officials say Michigan school counselor referred to student as a terrorist
- Colin Farrell's 'Penguin' makeup fooled his co-stars: 'You would never know'
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Suit seeks to overturn Georgia law on homeless voter registration and voter challenges
- T.I. and Tameka Tiny Harris Win $71 Million in Lawsuit Against Toy Company
- Passenger killed when horse smashes through windshield during California highway crashes
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Megalopolis’ is one from the heart
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- US company accuses Mexico of expropriating its property on the Caribbean coast
- Lions coach Dan Campbell had to move after daughter's classmate posted family address
- Video shows woman rescued from 'precariously dangling' car after smashing through garage
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Maine’s watchdog agency spent years investigating four child deaths. Here are the takeaways.
- Ex-officer testifies he disliked his unit’s ‘hostility’ even before Tyre Nichols beating
- A Texas county has told an appeals court it has a right to cull books on sex, gender and racism
Recommendation
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
A snowmobiler who crashed into a parked Black Hawk helicopter is awarded $3 million
Why Madonna's Ex Jenny Shimizu Felt Like “a High Class Hooker” During Romance
Accused drug dealer arrested in killings of 2 confidential police informants, police in Indiana say
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
T.I., Tiny win $71M in lawsuit with toy company over OMG Girlz dolls likeness: Reports
As an era ends, the city that was home to the Oakland A’s comes to grips with their departure
NYC schools boss to step down later this year after federal agents seized his devices