Current:Home > MyNew York court rejects Trump's appeal of gag order in "hush money" trial -Capitatum
New York court rejects Trump's appeal of gag order in "hush money" trial
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 23:05:32
A New York court on Tuesday rejected former President Donald Trump's bid to lift the gag order limiting what he can say about those involved in his ongoing criminal trial, saying the order does not violate Trump's First Amendment rights.
Justice Juan Merchan, the judge overseeing Trump's trial on 34 counts of falsifying business records, issued the original order in March, barring Trump from discussing likely witnesses, jurors, attorneys and court staff involved in the case. Merchan later expanded it to apply to his daughter.
Trump was not prevented from criticizing Merchan or Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
In a five-page ruling on Tuesday, the appellate division, first department of the New York Supreme Court, found that Merchan "properly determined that [Trump's] public statements posed a significant threat to the integrity of the testimony of witnesses and potential witnesses in this case."
"We find that Justice Merchan properly weighed petitioner's First Amendment Rights against the court's historical commitment to ensuring the fair administration of justice in criminal cases, and the right of persons related or tangentially related to the criminal proceedings from being free from threats, intimidation, harassment, and harm," the ruling said.
Merchan has held Trump in contempt of court for violating the order 10 times. Last week, he warned Trump that he could be sent to jail for future violations.
The latest violation concerned comments Trump made about the political make-up of the jury. In a written order on May 6, Merchan said Trump's comments "not only called into question the integrity, and therefore the legitimacy of these proceedings, but again raised the specter of fear for the safety of the jurors and of their loved ones."
Trump's attorney Todd Blanche asked Merchan to modify the gag order in court last week to allow Trump to "respond publicly to what happened in court the last day and a half," referring to testimony by Stormy Daniels, the adult film star who received $130,000 in 2016 in exchange for her silence about an alleged sexual encounter with Trump, which he denies.
Merchan rejected Blanche's request, saying the order is in place "because of the nature of the attacks, the vitriol" from Trump.
"Your client's track record speaks for itself," Merchan said.
Stefan BecketStefan Becket is managing editor, digital politics, for CBSNews.com. He helps oversee a team covering the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court, immigration and federal law enforcement.
TwitterveryGood! (7878)
Related
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Judge rules Trump in 2019 defamed writer who has already won a sex abuse and libel suit against him
- MLB places Dodgers pitcher Julio Urías on administrative leave after arrest
- Astros' Jose Altuve homers in first 3 at-bats against Rangers, gets 4 in a row overall
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- 'Alarming' allegations: 3 Albuquerque firefighters arrested in woman's alleged gang rape
- Iowa State QB Hunter Dekkers among 5 ISU, Iowa athletes to plead guilty to underage gambling
- YouTube vlogger Ruby Franke formally charged with 6 felony counts of child abuse
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- The Andy Warhol Supreme Court case and what it means for the future of art
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Bruce Springsteen postpones September shows, citing doctor’s advice regarding ulcer treatment
- A football coach who got job back after Supreme Court ruled he could pray on the field has resigned
- Carl Nassib, the NFL's first openly gay player, announces his retirement
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas say they decided to amicably end our marriage
- Joe Jonas files for divorce from Sophie Turner after 4 years of marriage: 'Irretrievably broken'
- Florida lawmakers denounce antisemitic incidents over Labor Day weekend: 'Hate has no place here'
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Carl Nassib, first openly gay player to play in NFL games, announces his retirement
E. Jean Carroll wins partial summary judgment in 2019 defamation case against Trump
Woody Allen attends Venice Film Festival with wife Soon-Yi Previn amid controversial reception
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Tropical Storm Lee: Projected path, maps and hurricane tracker
Coco Gauff becomes first American teen to reach U.S. Open semifinals since Serena Williams
In reaching US Open semis, Ben Shelton shows why he may be America's next men's tennis superstar