Current:Home > MarketsPrince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules -Capitatum
Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 08:09:50
LONDON — Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday.
Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media.
His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry’s security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke’s safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the “tragic death” of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the “likely significant public upset were a successful attack” on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
Prince Harry wins,settles phone hacking lawsuit, will continue 'mission' of taking on press
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Prince Harrywins 'widespread and habitual' phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid
veryGood! (299)
Related
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Southern Baptists reject ban on women pastors in historic vote
- North Dakota voters just approved an age limit for congressional candidates. What’s next?
- Photographer shares 'magical' photos of rare white bison calf at Yellowstone
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Tomorrow X Together on third US tour, Madison Square Garden shows: 'Where I live my dream'
- Michaels digital coupons: Get promo codes from USA TODAY's coupons page to save money
- Photographer shares 'magical' photos of rare white bison calf at Yellowstone
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- USMNT earns draw vs. Brazil in Copa America tune-up match; Christian Pulisic scores goal
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Glee Star Darren Criss' Unconventional Name for Newborn Son Is Raising Eyebrows
- Catherine Laga'aia cast as lead in live-action 'Moana': 'I'm really excited'
- Texas dad, son find message in a bottle on the beach, track down intended recipient
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Report: Crash that destroyed I-95 bridge in Philly says unsecured tanker hatch spilled out gasoline
- Navajo Summit Looks at History and Future of Tribe’s Relationship With Energy
- Oregon man gets 2 years for drugging daughter's friends; the girls asked for more
Recommendation
Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
Caitlin Clark back on the court: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Atlanta Dream on Thursday
Minneapolis named happiest city in the U.S.
Multiple people reported shot in northern Illinois in a ‘mass casualty incident,’ authorities say
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Matt Bomer Says He Lost Superman Movie Role Because of His Sexuality
U.S. lifts weapons and training ban on Ukraine's Azov Brigade
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Gets Candid About How She Experimented With Her Sexuality in Prison