Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-05 19:16:13
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago,Charles H. Sloan as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (548)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Alexandra Daddario Shares Candid Photo of Her Postpartum Body 6 Days After Giving Birth
- Hurricane forecasters on alert: November storm could head for Florida
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 12? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Get $103 Worth of Tatcha Skincare for $43.98 + 70% Off Flash Deals on Elemis, Josie Maran & More
- Massachusetts lawmakers to consider a soccer stadium for the New England Revolution
- Human head washes ashore on Florida beach, police investigating: reports
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Louisiana asks court to block part of ruling against Ten Commandments in classrooms
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Mississippi woman pleads guilty to stealing Social Security funds
- Judge sets date for 9/11 defendants to enter pleas, deepening battle over court’s independence
- Watch a rescuer’s cat-like reflexes pluck a kitten from mid-air after a scary fall
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Can't afford a home? Why becoming a landlord might be the best way to 'house hack.'
- The USDA is testing raw milk for the avian flu. Is raw milk safe?
- RHOP's Candiace Dillard Bassett Gives Birth, Shares First Photos of Baby Boy
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Quincy Jones' Cause of Death Revealed
Bluesky has added 1 million users since the US election as people seek alternatives to X
Crews battle 'rapid spread' conditions against Jennings Creek fire in Northeast
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Women suing over Idaho’s abortion ban describe dangerous pregnancies, becoming ‘medical refugees’
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan says next year will be his last in office; mum on his plans afterward
A $1 billion proposal is the latest plan to refurbish and save the iconic Houston Astrodome