Current:Home > ScamsNASA Reveals Plan to Return Stranded Astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to Earth -Capitatum
NASA Reveals Plan to Return Stranded Astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to Earth
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 02:43:37
A plan to bring the two NASA astronauts stranded on the International Space Station back home to Earth has been unveiled.
The government agency announced Aug. 24 that Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams will return on a Crew Dragon capsule early next year. The vessel, made by Elon Musk's SpaceX company, is due to travel to the ISS in September with four astronauts as part of a routine mission. Two of its seats will be kept empty for Butch and Suni, who will travel back to Earth on it in February 2025.
"NASA has decided that Butch and Suni will return with Crew-9 next February and that Starliner will return uncrewed," NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said at a press conference, "The decision to keep Butch and Suni on board the International Space Station and bring the Boeing Starliner home uncrewed is the result of a commitment to safety. Our core value is safety and it is our North Star."
The two had traveled to the orbiting space station on a Boeing Starliner capsule on June 5. Their inaugural test mission, which was originally set to last eight days—experienced thruster failures and helium leaks before docking safely, prompting NASA to postpone the pair's return to Earth by months and discuss whether to fix the spacecraft and bring them back on it or use SpaceX's.
NASA said in a statement that Starliner must return to Earth before the Crew-9 mission launches to ensure a docking port is available on the ISS.
Butch and Suni's Starliner flight marked the first time the vessel had carried a crew and NASA had hoped to certify the spacecraft for routine flights had the mission gone off without a hitch. Boeing plans to continue to work to fix its problems once it returns to Earth, Nelson said.
"I want you to know that Boeing has worked very hard with NASA to get the necessary data to make this decision," he told reporters. "We want to further understand the root causes and understand the design improvements so that the Boing Starliners will serve as an important part of our assured crew access to the ISS."
In 2019, Starliner failed a test to launch to the ISS without a crew. During another attempt in 2022, it encountered thruster problems.
"We have had mistakes done in the past. We lost two space shuttles as a result of there not being a culture in which information could come forward," Nelson said. "Spaceflight is risky, even at its safest and even at its most routine. And a test flight, by nature, is neither safe, nor routine."
Earlier this month, the families of Butch, 61, and Suni, 58, shared insight into how the astronauts are dealing with their extended time on the ISS and the uncertainty about their return.
Suni's husband, Michael Williams, told The Wall Street Journal that he didn’t think she was disappointed to wind up spending more time at the space station, adding, "That's her happy place."
Butch's wife, Deanna Wilmore, told Knoxville, Tenn. TV station WVLT that his family didn't expect him back until "February or March" and said her husband "just takes it knowing the Lord's in control and that since the Lord's in control of it, that he's content where he is."
And the astronauts keep in touch with their loved ones and share images from their mission as they continue their scientific experiments and maintenance tasks on board the ISS, which is also inhabited by the seven-person U.S. and Russian crew of Expedition 71.
"It is so cool. He gives us a lot of Earth views," Butch's daughter Daryn, 19, told WVLT. "I especially like seeing the sunset."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (4)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- I Shop Fashion for a Living, and These Are the Hidden Gems From ASOS I Predict Will Sell out ASAP
- Here are the women chosen for Barbie's newest role model dolls
- Southern Baptist agency says U.S. investigation into sexual abuse has ended with ‘no further action’
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Kid Cudi announces INSANO World Tour: Here's how to get tickets
- Wyoming Considers Relaxing Its Carbon Capture Standards for Electric Utilities, Scrambling Political Alliances on Climate Change and Energy
- Foo Fighters, Chuck D, Fat Joe rally for healthcare transparency in D.C.: 'Wake everybody up'
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Florida sheriff apologizes for posting photo of dead body believed to be Madeline Soto: Reports
Ranking
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen Enjoy a Date Night in the City of Love During Paris Fashion Week
- New York City FC announces 'The Cube:' a massive, seven-story main entryway to new stadium
- United flight forced to return to Houston airport after engine catches fire shortly after takeoff
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Top Virginia Senate negotiator vows to keep Alexandria arena out of the budget
- Massachusetts debates how long homeless people can stay in shelters
- Caitlin Clark's potential WNBA contract might come as a surprise, and not a positive one
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Lawyer behind effort to remove Fani Willis from Georgia Trump case testifies before state lawmakers
Tre'Davious White, Jordan Poyer among Buffalo Bills' major salary-cap cuts
Kid Cudi announces INSANO World Tour: Here's how to get tickets
Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
Steve Garvey advances in California senate primary: What to know about the former MLB MVP
Workers expressed concern over bowed beams, structural issues before Idaho hangar collapse killed 3
Gisele Bündchen Breaks Down in Tears Over Tom Brady Split